|BACK TO NEWS|
Taku River Fact-Finding Task Force
Goals and Agenda Plan
1. Review biological health and status regarding Taku River fish stocks, habitat, and game resources.
2. Investigate who is responsible (e.g., Alaska departments of Fish and Game, Natural Resources, Environmental Conservation, and the U.S. Coast Guard) for monitoring industrial vessel traffic on the river and determine if industrial vessel safety and spill response requirements are appropriately met.
3. Assess current state and federal statutes and regulations and their effectiveness.
Meeting 1 - January 5th - 5:00 P.M. TO 8:00 P.M. Capitol Building, House Finance Committee Room, Room 519
AGENDA - Organization of the Task Force and Taku River Values (3 hours)
· (20 minutes) - Introductions, Discussion with Juneau Legislative Delegation
· (10 minutes) - Mission, process and procedural ground rules, facilitator, agendas, speakers.
· (25 minutes) Statements of Task Force Members regarding to river values to their user group, and questions to have answered to achieve the fact-finding mission of the TF. (up to 3 minutes per member).
· (30 minutes) - Ed Jones and Charlie Swanton, Dept of Fish and Game - Expert testimony on fish runs and characteristics of spawning and rearing habitat, especially habitat fragility and threats. Questions by Task Force members.
· (30 minutes) - Randy Bates and Jackie Timothy - Expert testimony DF&G permitting. Questions by Task Force members.
· (30 minutes) - Open public questions. (Questions from the public will be submitted in writing and read by the facilitator. If there is not time to complete all questions this evening, they will be read at the Saturday meeting.)
· (15 minutes) - Discussion by Task Force regarding the information provided, additional information requested, future meeting agendas, etc.
Meeting 2 - Saturday, January 7th - 9:00 a.m. to noon - Capitol Building, House Finance Committee Room, Room 519
AGENDA - Current Regulatory Protections for the Taku River Fishery
· (30 minutes) - Recap of previous meeting and beginning discussion of future meetings and topics.
· (45 minutes) - Dept of Natural Resources - Office of Project Management - Large Project Coordinator - Kyle Moselle - 10 minute presentation and Q & A from Task Force
· INVITED (20 minutes) - Status of planned industrial development. (Chieftain Metals - developers of the Tulsequah mine - officials invited.)
· (45 minutes) - Public Hearing (Questions from the public will be submitted in writing and read by the facilitator. If there is not time to complete all questions this evening, they will be read at the Saturday meeting.)
· (30 minutes) - Discussion by Task Force regarding the Strategic Planning for the future including: additional information and resource speakers requested, future meeting agendas, etc.
3184 Pioneer Ave
Juneau, Alaska 99801